Today's Relief Society lesson was a winner! It was on how we should make good judgments for US but shouldn't judge or pass judgments on others. Alright, I don't want to sound prideful or anything, but I'm not a very judgmental person. I have always tried to see people's good sides and just ignore their short comings and flaws. So I was like, "Oh yeah, this is a good lesson, but nothing I really need to hear." Boy was I wrong! Some of the comments made by the wonderful ladies there really struck me! I couldn't help but reevaluate myself and my actions. These are the comments that hit home for me:
1) A story was told about how a friendship of 30 yrs was severed. There were many reasons for it. The friend was bringing this lady and her family down. She was causing pain and suffering to this lady. A mental illness might be the reason for it, but whatever the reason this lady felt the best thing to do was sever the relationship. It wasn't doing her any good. The comment she made that I have replayed over and over again in my mind was this: "I hope that in the eternities she and I can be friends again. I harbor no ill feelings towards her." I'm getting the chills just typing that. So why did this comment mean so much to me?? Back in late May or early June I too had to sever a friendship. This friend of mine I had always tried to see the good in. I had always tried to help him out and be there for him. I was as patient and as kind as possible with him. I stood up for him when no one else would. But things weren't good in that friendship. I was doing all I could for HIM and he was doing all he could for him too. He seemed to only think of himself. He brought me down. He manipulated me. He used my weaknesses to his advantage. He tore me apart time and time again. So much so that I felt I wasn't worth much. Any time I'd try to get away, I couldn't. I began to just fake it with high hopes that things would get better and he'd change. Long story short, he didn't change. He did some things that were pretty severe, but I was finally able to get away. I severed the friendship with him and his family. It was hard. I've never had to do that before and hoped I would never have to. But it needed to be done. I needed to be treated as a Daughter of God. I didn't do it because I was judging him. Heck, that's the last thing I did it for. If I were going to judge him I would have done it a long time ago and this trial in my life would have never happened. But we learn from our trials. Anyway, I severed the friendship because it was what was best for me and my life. I forgave him time and time again. I forgave him for this last thing he did as well. Right off the bat I forgave him. I didn't think I harbored any ill feelings towards him. But when that comment was made today, I realized I did. I hadn't finished my process of forgiving. Part of me goes, "I always saw this good side in him. I know it's there. I just hope he finds it. He could be such a great guy." And I believe that to this day. But another part of me goes, "He's a creep. He's a jerk. He's got some mental issues. He needs help." Those are ill feelings. So today I'm making a change. Today and forevermore I'm getting rid of those bad feelings towards him. He's a great guy. I've always thought that. He needs to make some changes in his life and it's best that we aren't friends. But I too, like the lady at church, hope that him and I can be friends in the eternities. I harbor no ill feelings, starting today.
2) "Cut me some slack." The question along these lines was asked, "What if someone was judging you based on a flaw that you had?" One of my favorite ladies in the Eastview Ward said, "Cut me some slack." Isn't that what we all want? None of us are perfect; we all have flaws. We don't want people judging us for those imperfections so we must not judge them for theirs either. We don't know what anyone is truly going through. It's most likely that what they are going through is harder than what we are going through. We shouldn't pass judgments so quickly. We don't have all the facts so 'cut them some slack.'
3) "You can't slice cheese so thin that it doesn't still have two sides." Hence, the title of my blog. I can't remember who said it or where it came from, but it's a quote by someone. Think about it for a minute...You can't slice cheese so thin that it doesn't still have two sides. There are always going to be two sides to a person. The flaws and imperfections, and the talents, abilities, and good qualities side. You could categorize the two sides however you please. But the point I'm trying to make, and the point that was made in church today was that we can't just look at one side of the person. More often than not the side that we see is the flawed side. We pass judgments, hurt others, and whether we want to admit it or not, that's a sin. We're human. We're going to notice imperfections about ourselves and others, but we shouldn't judge them based on those. We need to see their other side; their good and wonderful side. That is the side that should shine and be engraven in our minds when we think of that person. That is the side that means the most. Everyone..EVERYONE has this side. I'm not perfect. I pass judgments. They might not be out loud, but I still do it. When I find myself doing it I kind of kick myself in the pants..and then find the good in them. No matter how thin that slice of cheese is, there are always going to be two sides to it. So it is with people.
I loved today's lesson!! I didn't think I needed it, but I did. It really touched my heart and made me want to change and be a little better. There is always room for improvement and I need to improve myself everyday just like anyone does. My life was blessed to have been in my home ward Relief Society today, and to have heard and learned from the amazing women in that ward. :)
Let us make good judgments for ourselves and in our own lives, but judge not others. Be Christlike, see their good qualities, and love them.
Good lesson Cortney. We all can improve.
ReplyDeleteAwesome! I hear good stuff in YW too, and then I forget it a few days later. I should come home and write it down too!
ReplyDelete