Ok, so we weren't totally reverent in there. I'm still a kid at heart and always will be. Even so, we had an amazing lesson and I just can't help but write it down. (This blogging thing is becoming a good habit for me. Normally I hear something neat and go "I should write that down" and never do. Blogging has made that easy for me. Love it!) Our lesson was on the Relief Society and we, as women of the Church. I didn't catch all that was said (remember, I wasn't the most reverent.) But between the laughter and giggles I caught something that will forever stick with me.
James E. Faust, in a talk titled "What It Means To Be a Daughter of God", shared a story that touched my soul and helped me in more ways than one. It goes as follows:
"The answer to those questions may best be given by relating the story of a young piano student. His mother, wishing to encourage him, “bought tickets for a performance of the great Polish pianist, Paderewski. The night of the concert arrived and the mother and son found their seats near the front of the concert hall. While the mother visited with friends, the boy slipped quietly away.
“Suddenly, it was time for the performance to begin and a single spotlight cut through the darkness of the concert hall to illuminate the grand piano on stage. Only then did the audience notice the little boy on the bench, innocently picking out ‘Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star.’
“His mother gasped, but before she could move, Paderewski appeared on stage and quickly moved to the keyboard. He whispered to the boy, ‘Don’t quit. Keep playing.’ And then, leaning over, the master reached down with his left hand and began filling in the bass part. Soon his right arm reached around the other side, encircling the child, to add a running obbligato. Together, the old master and the young novice held the crowd mesmerized.
“In our lives, unpolished though we may be, it is the Master who surrounds us and whispers in our ear, time and time again, ‘Don’t quit. Keep playing.’ And as we do, He augments and supplements until a work of amazing beauty is created. He is right there with all of us, telling us over and over, ‘Keep playing.’”
After hearing this story I couldn't help but reflect on my own life. How many times has my Savior and Master whispered "Don't quit. Keep playing" and then filled in where I couldn't? No matter what struggle I'm going through, no matter how hard life gets, no matter how much I know or don't know about something, etc...the Master has promised to fill in where I can't. He has promised that after I have done all I can do, he will pick up the slack and help me along the way...'until a work of amazing beauty is created.' What great potential I have in my life with the Master by my side. He wants nothing more than for me to 'keep playing' and never give up. Am I letting him down? I did a lot of reflection after hearing this story. I couldn't tell you what else was said in the lesson, but THIS is what I needed to hear yesterday. This is what I needed to go to church for.
In life there are going to be times where all I can play is Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. But the Savior will extend his left arm around to pick up the bass, and he'll extend his right arm around to pick up the rest. Ponder that thought for a minute. What do you think of? The Master and Savior of all has outstretched his arms for each of us. He has extended his love, mercy, and help to all individuals. There have been many times in my life where I've only been able to pluck out a simple song. Times where I felt like a novice. Ok, most of the time I feel like a novice. But there's nothing wrong with that. That gives me opportunities to grow and be taught by the Master. His desire and wish is exactly what Paderewski said to the young boy: Don't quit. Keep playing.
As I was writing this all out I thought of a poem I wrote last year. I wrote it during one of my biggest struggles, but in hopes that I could share it with others and help them during theirs. It's not anything amazing, but it helps me.
In life there are going to be times where all I can play is Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. But the Savior will extend his left arm around to pick up the bass, and he'll extend his right arm around to pick up the rest. Ponder that thought for a minute. What do you think of? The Master and Savior of all has outstretched his arms for each of us. He has extended his love, mercy, and help to all individuals. There have been many times in my life where I've only been able to pluck out a simple song. Times where I felt like a novice. Ok, most of the time I feel like a novice. But there's nothing wrong with that. That gives me opportunities to grow and be taught by the Master. His desire and wish is exactly what Paderewski said to the young boy: Don't quit. Keep playing.
As I was writing this all out I thought of a poem I wrote last year. I wrote it during one of my biggest struggles, but in hopes that I could share it with others and help them during theirs. It's not anything amazing, but it helps me.
When times get hard and life gets rough
Don’t you dare back down. Fight. Be tough.
Pick yourself up and try once more
When the window closes, find the door.
You’ve got it in you. Be strong. Stand tall.
Remember, the Savior is healer of all.
Don't quit. Keep playing. Be strong. Stand tall. This little story might have been the only thing I really caught in Relief Society, but it was all I needed to hear. I am so thankful for this Gospel and for the opportunities I have to be reminded of things like this.
Oh how I just love you to death! Thanks for sharing that. If fact, I think I will use that story for my next FHE!
ReplyDeleteI love you too Tricia! :) Yes, a great FHE lesson for sure!
ReplyDelete